Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Art Journal: Butterflies

Using color mists with my stencil.
Although this one looks messy, it was a happy accident. After preparing the page with gesso, I used my butterfly stencil and sprayed it with Radiant Rain. Instead of sticking to the page, it began to puddle and run. I grabbed the heat gun to dry it. There were some large wet places, so I pulled the stencil off. When the blast of air hit the liquid, it ran across the page (similar to the guy on You Tube who paints with the leaf blower! There are others, but this is the only one I could find right now). It's very sparkly and iridescent IRL. Oil pastels outline the butterflies.

This page started with gesso, then added dark blue acrylic paint. I used the stencil again with aqua paint then hand painted the vines, leaves, and pink flowers.

Here's the final look - whimsical, but that's what I was going for. I addd oil pastels and some Pitt Pen.

This is a different butterfly stencil using green paint on white gesso. I was going for a clean, uncluttered look- like a specimen tray.

Here's the final look with oil pastels added. Hope you're inspired to open your own Art Journal and throw some paint down!

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

very cool butterflies - I really like the specimen tray ones.

Joanne